- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 ½ cups vege or chicken stock
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Cut each chicken breast into 2 halves and then into thinner halves until you have 8 slices. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper and thyme. Place in large resealable bag. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix thoroughly. Then add 2 tablespoons of flour, thoroughly coating the fillets in it. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts, cook for about 2-3 minutes minutes without stirring until lightly brown on the bottom.
- Turn each fillet, frying it off for about 2 minutes until lightly brown on that side, then remove to a plate.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the same pot. Add the mushrooms and onions, stirring to coat with oil. Cook for about 1 - 2 minutes, stirring until brown. Remove from pot to bowl for later.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pot. Then add pumpkin and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer together for 1 - 2 minutes, taking care not to burn the pumpkin. Add broth and bring to boil. Chicken breasts do not need to be completely immersed in the broth (just halfway). Cover and simmer over medium to medium-low heat for about 3 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Into a bowl, pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of the broth from the pot and 3 tablespoons cream, mix well. Add the remaining cream and mix. Pour the cream into the pan with the chicken, then add the parsley and gently mix to evenly distribute the sauce. Add the mushrooms and onions back into to pot. Cook, uncovered, for about 1 minute, until the sauce has thickened slightly.